Skip the store-bought dressing and make your own Italian Salad Dressing recipe at home from scratch! This recipe is completely homemade and it’s perfect for salads, pasta salads, marinating veggies or even dipping bread.
We love making things homemade whenever possible and making a homemade salad dressing is super simple. When it comes to this salad dressing you’ll most likely have everything you’ll need right at home. This dressing is perfect for our Vegan Pasta Salad recipe as well!
ITALIAN DRESSING INGREDIENTS
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Vinegar (you can use white or red wine)
- Garlic (fresh preferred, but you could sub with dried if needed)
- Dried Oregano
- Dried Basil
- Fresh Parsley
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Kosher Salt
HOW TO MAKE ITALIAN SALAD DRESSING
You’ll need a 16 oz mason jar or any large container that has an airtight lid.
Freshly chop the garlic and parsley.
To make the Italian dressing pour in the oil, vinegar, water, oregano, parsley, Kosher salt, and red pepper flakes into the mason jar.
Cover the jar with the lid and then shake until the dressing is combined. Serve or refrigerate until ready to serve.
IS IT SPICY?
No, this isn’t a spicy dressing. We only use a small amount of red pepper flakes, if you wanted more of a kick you could add more.
HOW DO YOU STORE HOMEMADE DRESSING?
Any unused dressing should be stored in the refrigerator.
HOW LONG DOES HOMEMADE DRESSING LAST?
We use this within 1-2 weeks. The dressing may solidify due to the olive oil. If this happens just remove it from the fridge a few minutes before using it. Give a good shake to combine the ingredients before pouring.
IS THIS A VEGAN DRESSING RECIPE?
Yes, this is completely vegan. Some Italian dressings contain parmesan cheese so they would not be considered vegan. If you’re vegan, you’d love our Italian Pasta Salad using this dressing.
- This isn’t a spicy dressing, but if you like a little more heat you can add more red pepper flakes
- If you don’t have fresh garlic you can use dried granulated or powdered, just be sure to use less as it’s dried.
- If you don’t have fresh parsley you can use 1 teaspoon dried parsley.
- This must be refrigerated, the dressing will solidify a bit due to the olive oil, give it a good shake before pouring.
- We used wide mouth mason jars with reusable plastic lids.
Italian Salad Dressing
- 1 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Vinegar white or red wine
- 1/3 cup Water
- 2 cloves Garlic fresh preferred, but you could sub with dried if needed (use about a 1/2 teaspoon for dried)
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Dried Basil
- 1/4 cup Fresh Parsley
- 1 pinch Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt more or less to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- Freshly chop the garlic and parsley.
- In a 16 oz mason jar combine the oil, vinegar, water, oregano, parsley, salt, and red pepper flakes into the mason jar.
- Cover the jar with the lid and then shake until the dressing is combined.
- Serve or refrigerate until ready to serve.