Roasted Beets and Sweet Potatoes make for a healthy and delicious side dish for the whole family. Add to salad, even great in vegetable wraps!
Roasted Beets and Sweet Potatoes cook up in just 30-40 minutes!
We eat sweets and beets like candy. I often make a large batch and just store in containers. They are excellent plain and you could even put them into a salad or burrito and wraps! Most of the time we just eat them off the tray within minutes, they’re that good! I make it whenever we buy beets and sweet potatoes. You can use any variety of sweet potato, even purple sweet potatoes will work well in this recipe.
The first photo has Hannah white sweet potatoes, regular sweet potatoes, and beets. The bottom photo has just regular sweet potatoes and beets.
all about beets – all about sweet potatoes
We like to roast them using coconut oil. We sprinkle with seasonings like garlic, parsley, and onion. You could even add chopped onions and garlic if you’d like.
Kids will love this recipe too as it’s super sweet and who doesn’t love potatoes? It’s a healthy side dish that is great for snacking. Make a huge sheet pan of them for meal planning.
how to make roasted beets and sweet potatoes
- Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees F. Chop up the sweet potatoes and beets in about 1/2 inch bite size pieces and place right on the baking sheet, a sheet lined with parchment paper or reusable liner like a Silpat.
- Season the beets and sweets with the desired seasoning. We use garlic, onion, and salt. You could simply use salt and pepper as well.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then give a toss. If you want them to cook in just 30 minutes cut the sweet potatoes and beets into smaller bite-size pieces.
- Cook another 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- We do not recommend using olive oil and also no longer use coconut oil. We suggest using a high smoke point oil and use either avocado oil or algae oil when baking in the oven to 400 degrees and over.
- if you want some color you can also add some parsley, we do this sometimes if we’re placing on salads to make it look prettier, but it doesn’t change the flavor much.
- you can make roasted sweets and beets ahead of time – make a large batch for meal planning.
- add them to give a heartiness to salads, burritos, burrito bowls, wraps, and even breakfast hash.
- add in other root vegetables like carrots, parsnips, you can even roast Brussels sprouts with this recipe.
If you liked this recipe you’ll love our post on how to roast vegetables.
Roasted Beets and Sweet Potato recipe video
click the stars to rate this recipe
Roasted Beets and Sweet Potatoes
- 6 medium sweet potato orange, white, or even purple!
- 2 medium beets
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Peel sweet potatoes and beets.
- Chop up sweet potatoes and beets into bite size chunks.
- Place onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and sprinkle with seasonings and oil.
- Mix together and then place into the oven.
- After 20 minutes of baking in the oven, give the sweets and beets a toss.
- Bake for another 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
The nutritional information is automatically calculated and can vary based ingredients and products used. If the nutrition numbers are important for you we recommend calculating them yourself.
SHOULD THE SWEETS & BEETS BE REFRIGERATED?
Yes, if there are leftovers. 🙂
Absolutely LOVED it, I loved it, my lady loved it, my dogs loved it!!! The coconut oil gave it an incredible taste as it does all veges…..
Thank you so much for the sweet comment letting us know. We’re so glad to hear everyone enjoyed! 🙂
I’m new to using beets! Do you peel the beets first before cutting and roasting, or do you just cut them in chunks without peeling and roast? Thanks!
The skin on beets can be a bit tough, so you can peel if you’d like. We typically peel if they’re larger beets and we’re roasting. If we’re juicing we leave them as is, just be sure to give them a good scrub either way. 🙂
In the top of your recipe it says cook time 30 mins, but in you directions it says too cook for 20 mins, toss, then cook for an additional 20-25mins. Which is the correct method? Im assuming the total cook time is the 40-45 mins.
Thank you for catching that! We have been updating our recipe plugin and it does alter some of the times, we must have missed the total on this one, correct total time is about 40-45 minutes for roasted sweet potatoes and beets 🙂
Entire family loved! Gotta double the recipe next time!
So glad you guys enjoyed!! 🙂
It says you can make ahead. Would you suggest warming/reheating for the meal? If so, how? I’m making Christmas dinner and would love roasted vegetables but will have limited oven space.
We usually reheat if we’re using them for meal prep. Ideally for something like Christmas dinner we’d like to make this fresh, but if not we would bake them again to crisp them up. If you use a microwave they’ll be a bit soggy.
One of my favorite restaurants in Colorado had these on their menu and I decided to recreate my own. The ones I made using this recipe were arguably better than the ones from the restaurant. Also, if you add chunks of goat cheese it is 100x better !!!
Homemade is always the best, glad you enjoyed!!
Can you use canned beets?
You could definitely try it. We tend to not recommend roasting canned veggies as it won’t get the same caramelization and desired end result.
Made it today 19 June 2022, very tasty. threw some brown sugar on them
I love the addition of brown sugar, so glad you enjoyed it! 😀