Our warm and comforting Cabbage Soup recipe cooks up in less than 30 minutes. In addition to being a vegan cabbage soup recipe, it’s also gluten-free!
This is a hearty vegetable soup with cabbage. Many think of the cabbage soup diet when they think about cabbage soup. It’s a filling soup with tons of fiber and vegetables that keeps you full and has lower calories making it a good option to serve before for lunch or dinner with your main course. We love enjoying a bowl with some sourdough bread or some homemeade garlic bread.
HOW TO MAKE CABBAGE SOUP
- To start you’ll heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot you can add in the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. These take a little longer to cook so you can give them a 4-6 minute head start.
- Next, you’ll add in the vegetable broth, water, tomatoes with liquid, zucchini, potatoes, bay leaf, and other seasonings.
- Place the lid on and bring the soup to a boil, once it’s boiling you’ll give it a stir and then cook for 25-30 minutes on medium-low heat, simmering not boiling the soup.
CAN I MAKE THIS SOUP IN A SLOW COOKER?
Yes, this works really well in the crockpot. We do recommend cooking the onions and garlic a little bit before transferring to the pot as this helps bring out their flavor. Then cook everything in the slow cooker for about 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 on low. You’ll want to add in the corn the last 30 minutes.
HOW LONG IS SOUP GOOD FOR?
Stored in an airtight container in the fridge this soup should last 4-5 days. We usually finish up the batch within 1-2 days so if we want to have it for the week we just double the recipe.
CAN I FREEZE CABBAGE SOUP?
Yes, you can freeze cabbage soup. Freeze in a freezer-safe container and leave a little room at the top for expansion.
We serve with crusty bread. Kids love it with some pasta or even rice.
TIPS FOR THE BEST CABBAGE SOUP
- Easily make this soup ahead by prepping the veggies ahead of time.
- Add more vegetables, you could even use frozen veggies! Some of our favorite veggies to add are mushrooms, other squashes, green beans, corn, peas, broccoli, or peppers.
- Add leafy greens in addition to the cabbage, escarole, kale, or even spinach.
- Add protein, we love to add chickpeas, white beans, kidney beans, or you could even add quinoa.
Cabbage Soup Recipe
(click stars to vote)Print Pin
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 carrots sliced
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 18 oz diced tomatoes jar
- 1 zucchini chopped
- 2 potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 5 cups cabbage 1/2 head cabbage
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot add onions, carrots, celery, and garlic, saute 4-6 minutes.
- Add in vegetable broth, water, tomatoes with liquid, zucchini, potatoes, bay leaves, thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- While the veggies are cooking in the broth chop up the cabbage and then add to the pot.
- Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cover and simmer the soup for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Serve with your favorite main course or enjoy as is with some crusty bread.
The nutritional information is automatically calculated and can vary based ingredients and products used. If the nutrition numbers are important for you we recommend calculating them yourself.