Our warm and comforting Cabbage Soup recipe cooks up in less than 30 minutes. In addition to being a vegan cabbage soup recipe, it’s also gluten-free!
This is a hearty vegetable soup with cabbage. Many think of the cabbage soup diet when they think about cabbage soup. It’s a filling soup with tons of fiber and vegetables that keeps you full and has lower calories making it a good option to serve before for lunch or dinner with your main course. We love enjoying a bowl with some sourdough bread or some homemeade garlic bread.
HOW TO MAKE CABBAGE SOUP
- To start you’ll heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot you can add in the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. These take a little longer to cook so you can give them a 4-6 minute head start.
- Next, you’ll add in the vegetable broth, water, tomatoes with liquid, zucchini, potatoes, bay leaf, and other seasonings.
- Place the lid on and bring the soup to a boil, once it’s boiling you’ll give it a stir and then cook for 25-30 minutes on medium-low heat, simmering not boiling the soup.
CAN I MAKE THIS SOUP IN A SLOW COOKER?
Yes, this works really well in the crockpot. We do recommend cooking the onions and garlic a little bit before transferring to the pot as this helps bring out their flavor. Then cook everything in the slow cooker for about 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 on low. You’ll want to add in the corn the last 30 minutes.
HOW LONG IS SOUP GOOD FOR?
Stored in an airtight container in the fridge this soup should last 4-5 days. We usually finish up the batch within 1-2 days so if we want to have it for the week we just double the recipe.
CAN I FREEZE CABBAGE SOUP?
Yes, you can freeze cabbage soup. Freeze in a freezer-safe container and leave a little room at the top for expansion.
We serve with crusty bread. Kids love it with some pasta or even rice.
TIPS FOR THE BEST CABBAGE SOUP
- Easily make this soup ahead by prepping the veggies ahead of time.
- Add more vegetables, you could even use frozen veggies! Some of our favorite veggies to add are mushrooms, other squashes, green beans, corn, peas, broccoli, or peppers.
- Add leafy greens in addition to the cabbage, escarole, kale, or even spinach.
- Add protein, we love to add chickpeas, white beans, kidney beans, or you could even add quinoa.
Cabbage Soup Recipe
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 carrots sliced
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 18 oz diced tomatoes jar
- 1 zucchini chopped
- 2 potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 5 cups cabbage 1/2 head cabbage
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot add onions, carrots, celery, and garlic, saute 4-6 minutes.
- Add in vegetable broth, water, tomatoes with liquid, zucchini, potatoes, bay leaves, thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- While the veggies are cooking in the broth chop up the cabbage and then add to the pot.
- Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cover and simmer the soup for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Serve with your favorite main course or enjoy as is with some crusty bread.