This is the BEST Vegan Lentil Soup recipe! Easily prep this comforting soup ahead of time or you can even freeze to enjoy later. This is naturally gluten-free as well.
Lentil soup is total comfort food. Once the cool weather hits it’s soup time for us. Lentils are one of our favorite plant-based proteins and this soup is a complete meal. We like to serve it with a side salad and bread.
Whenever we make soup we like to make a double batch and freeze one batch for the winter months. There’s nothing better than coming home and having dinner ready after a long day at work.
WHAT MAKES THIS THE BEST LENTIL SOUP RECIPE?
- wholesome ingredients
- cooks up in 35 minutes
- veggies can be prepped ahead
- packed with plant protein (this is a vegan soup recipe)
- it’s a freezer-friendly soup – you can easily freeze and enjoy whenever you have a craving for some lentil soup
- you can make it more hearty by adding in extra veggies, pasta, rice, or even quinoa
HOW TO MAKE LENTIL SOUP
- Prep the veggies.
- Cook down the carrots and onions medium-high heat until they’re slightly tender and then add in the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the vegetable broth, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Then stir before covering with the lid.
- Once boiling you’ll lower the temperature to medium-low heat covered and simmer for 25 minutes until the lentils are cooked through.
- Add the zucchini and kale and cook for 5 more minutes or until the zucchini is the desired tenderness.
- Remove from the heat and serve.
MORE VEGAN SOUP RECIPES:
- Easily make this in the slow cooker too! To make crockpot lentil soup you’ll want to dump it all into the pot and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- This soup freezes well and can be enjoyed during the winter season by simply freezing a batch and removing from the freezer when there’s a craving for fresh soup.
- Add more veggies if you like, this can be as hearty as you like!
- Prep the veggies ahead of time for a quick easy weeknight meal.
- When reheating or thawing this recipe, you may need to add more liquid, water or more broth works fine.
- We like to serve with a side salad and crusty bread.
Vegan Lentil Soup
- 3 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 64 oz vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cup lentils
- 28 oz diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- salt + pepper to taste
- 1 cup zucchini diced
- 1 cup kale chopped
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat avocado oil over medium-high heat.
- Saute the carrots and onions in the oil until tender.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the lentils, vegetable broth, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper. Stir thoroughly then cover with a lid.
- When the soup begins to boil, lower the temperature to medium low and simmer for 25 minutes or until lentils are cooked through.
- Add the zucchini and kale and cook 5 more minutes, or until zucchini is tender and kale begins to soften.
- Remove from heat and serve.
The nutritional information is automatically calculated and can vary based ingredients and products used. If the nutrition numbers are important for you we recommend calculating them yourself.