This is the BEST Vegan Lentil Soup recipe! Easily prep this comforting soup ahead of time or you can even freeze to enjoy later. This is naturally gluten-free as well.
Lentil soup is total comfort food. Once the cool weather hits it’s soup time for us. Lentils are one of our favorite plant-based proteins and this soup is a complete meal. We like to serve it with a side salad and bread.
Whenever we make soup we like to make a double batch and freeze one batch for the winter months. There’s nothing better than coming home and having dinner ready after a long day at work.
WHAT MAKES THIS THE BEST LENTIL SOUP RECIPE?
- wholesome ingredients
- cooks up in 35 minutes
- veggies can be prepped ahead
- packed with plant protein (this is a vegan soup recipe)
- it’s a freezer-friendly soup – you can easily freeze and enjoy whenever you have a craving for some lentil soup
- you can make it more hearty by adding in extra veggies, pasta, rice, or even quinoa
HOW TO MAKE LENTIL SOUP
- Prep the veggies.
- Cook down the carrots and onions medium-high heat until they’re slightly tender and then add in the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the vegetable broth, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Then stir before covering with the lid.
- Once boiling you’ll lower the temperature to medium-low heat covered and simmer for 25 minutes until the lentils are cooked through.
- Add the zucchini and kale and cook for 5 more minutes or until the zucchini is the desired tenderness.
- Remove from the heat and serve.
MORE VEGAN SOUP RECIPES:
- Easily make this in the slow cooker too! To make crockpot lentil soup you’ll want to dump it all into the pot and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- This soup freezes well and can be enjoyed during the winter season by simply freezing a batch and removing from the freezer when there’s a craving for fresh soup.
- Add more veggies if you like, this can be as hearty as you like!
- Prep the veggies ahead of time for a quick easy weeknight meal.
- When reheating or thawing this recipe, you may need to add more liquid, water or more broth works fine.
- We like to serve with a side salad and crusty bread.
Vegan Lentil Soup
- 3 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1 cup carrots diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 64 oz vegetable broth
- 1 ½ cup lentils
- 28 oz diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- salt + pepper to taste
- 1 cup zucchini diced
- 1 cup kale chopped
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat avocado oil over medium-high heat.
- Saute the carrots and onions in the oil until tender.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the lentils, vegetable broth, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper. Stir thoroughly then cover with a lid.
- When the soup begins to boil, lower the temperature to medium low and simmer for 25 minutes or until lentils are cooked through.
- Add the zucchini and kale and cook 5 more minutes, or until zucchini is tender and kale begins to soften.
- Remove from heat and serve.