Learn how to make an acai bowl with our acai bowl recipe that you can top however you like! Packed with antioxidants and fiber, this thick smoothie bowl is a great breakfast to start your day.
What is acai?
Acai (ah-sigh-EE), the acai berry, is a grape-like fruit that is harvested from acai palm trees. These trees are native to rainforests in South America. Acai berries are a superfood widely known for containing a powerhouse of antioxidants and fiber.
For the full ingredient amount and full instructions on how to make an acai bowl see the recipe card below.
Add the frozen berries, banana, acai, and oat milk to a high-speed blender.
Start on low speed and then slowly work your way up to high speed. We recommend using a tamper tool if one came with your blender. This helps keep the acai bowl mixture nice and thick.
Pour the acai mixture into your smoothie bowl and then top with your desired toppings. Enjoy immediately.
Recipe Tips and Alterations:
- We recommend using a high-speed blender with a tamper tool to keep your acai bowl and any smoothie recipe nice and thick. Our favorite blenders are Vitamix and KitchenAid, as long as it has the tamper tool.
- You can use any kind of frozen fruit you like! We typically use whatever we have in the house, which is pineapple, mixed berries, and mango. Sometimes we get frozen cherries which are delicious, added as well.
- Frozen banana thickens the acai bowls and adds so much sweetness. There’s no need to add any other sweeteners like honey, agave, or even yogurt, thanks to the banana.
- The frozen acai packet adds the classic acai flavor, but you can use 3 tablespoons of acai powder if you prefer.
- Using oat milk helps thin out the acai puree, so it isn’t too thick. Don’t like oat milk or dairy milk? Try using your favorite fruit like orange juice or apple juice.
How to serve:
We love serving acai bowls as a breakfast. They are like a smoothie breakfast bowl and so easy to make. You can add your favorite fruits when blending and all your favorite toppings once you’re finished blending. Toppings are great for adding crunch, like granola, nuts, seeds, or even coconut flakes. I also love adding fresh fruit like banana slices and berries. You can also add some seeds like chia seeds and flax seeds! Love nut butter? Drizzle your favorite almond butter, peanut butter, or allergy-friendly butter right on top.
Frequently asked questions
Acai (ah-sigh-EE), the acai berry, is a grape-like fruit that is harvested from acai palm trees.
Acai bowls are thick smoothie bowls that can be topped however you like! They’re perfect for breakfast and originated from Brazil.
Yes, well, depending on the ingredients and toppings, they can be super healthy.
Most grocery stores should carry acai packets. You can typically find them located in the frozen fruit section.
Acai Bowl Recipe
(click stars to vote)Print Pin
- 1 cup mixed berries frozen
- ½ cup banana frozen
- 1 packet 100g frozen acai
- ½ oat milk
- desired toppings fresh fruit, nuts, seeds, nut butters, etc
- Add the frozen berries, frozen banana, frozen acai, and oat milk to a high speed blender.
- Start blending on low speed and gradually work up to high speed, scraping the sides of the blender as needed with a tamper tool. Don't have a tamper tool? Stop the blender and just use a rubber spatula. The mixture should be thick.
- Blend until the mixture is completely smooth, about 45-60 seconds.
- Transfer the acai mixture to a bowl and top with your desired toppings.
- Enjoy your acai bowl immediately.
The nutritional information is automatically calculated and can vary based ingredients and products used. If the nutrition numbers are important for you we recommend calculating them yourself.
Did you try this recipe? ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Don’t forget to leave a recipe rating! Also, tag us @knowyourproduce on Instagram and hashtag it #knowyourproduce so we can share it!