Creamy Vegan Mashed Potatoes, buttery, rich, and delicious. No one would even know this potato side dish is vegan!
Mashed potatoes are a staple side dish especially around the holidays, and can be the star side dish of your Vegan Thanksgiving menu. We love serving these mashed potatoes along with our vegan stuffing and don’t forget the roasted broccolini.
These mashed potatoes hold their own, they’re not screaming for gravy, but you’re more than welcome to pour some of your favorite vegan gravy on top. Another option is to melt a little bit of vegan butter and drizzle that right overtop of the mashed potatoes and then garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
best potatoes for mashing
You want to choose a potato with higher starch. Russets or Yukon are perfect for mashing, while waxy potatoes like reds are best for making roasted potatoes.
how to make vegan mashed potatoes
This recipe is so simple and is made just like classic mashed potatoes, but using vegan butter and vegan cream cheese. You can either peel the potatoes or leave the skin on. The skin does contain lots of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals, but we did remove the potato peels for this recipe.
When you’re filling the pot with water make sure the water is cold and also use enough water to cover the potatoes by 2 inches. Bring the water to a boil and once the potatoes are fork tender, drain the water, and you can start adding in the remaining ingredients. We use our potato masher to mash it all together.
more vegan recipes to try:
- Vegan Mashed Potatoes with Fried Onions
- Vegan Coleslaw
- Vegan Potato Salad
- Buttered Corn – You can make this with almond milk and vegan butter
tips to make the best vegan mashed potatoes
- We tested different vegan butter and cream cheeses we could find at the grocery store.
- How did we test them? We tested them with the butter on their own, with the cream cheese, and even with some flavored vegan cream cheese. The winning combo was Earth Balance Spread soy free and Kite Hill plain cream cheese.
- We also tested different plant-based milk options from cashew milk, soy milk, and almond milk. Our favorite dairy-free milk for mashed potatoes was Califia Farms Almond Milk.
- You can add more flavor by using roasted garlic, caramelized onions, or even freshly chopped chives or other herbs. You could even add garlic in granulated form in a pinch.
Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- 1 1/2 lbs yukon potatoes
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter heaping
- 2 tablespoons vegan cream cheese heaping
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash, peel, and chop the potatoes.
- Place the potatoes into a large pot and cover with water.
- Allow the potatoes to cook and boil in the water for about 15-20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and then return to the pot.
- Add in warm almond milk, vegan butter, and vegan cream cheese.
- Mash and mix the potatoes until combined.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle more butter and garnish with parsley.