This vegan coleslaw only has 6 ingredients and takes just under 10 minutes to make. Great for topping sandwiches or even on its own!
Our guests always love this vegan coleslaw recipe. It’s an excellent vegan side dish that everyone can enjoy, even those that are gluten-free! We love making this and our cucumber salad. I use regular cabbage, red cabbage, and a few carrots for the veggies.
what is in vegan coleslaw dressing?
The dressing ingredients are
- vegan mayonnaise
- vinegar (you can use white or apple cider vinegar)
- celery seed
- and a pinch of salt
- cane sugar
If you want sweetness you can add in your favorite sweetener, we’ll sometimes use a little cane sugar or honey.
It’s easy to swap vegan mayo for regular mayo without changing the taste of your favorite coleslaw recipe. There are plenty of options in the supermarkets now. Plus, they taste just as good as the regular mayo.
This is a plant-based recipe and you can make it even easier by getting premade coleslaw mix. It’s easy to make shredded cabbage, simply slice the cabbage in half and then fourths. Then slice it thin and you’ll get shredded cabbage. For the carrots, you can just use a cheese grater. Some even use a cheese grater for the cabbage too.
While this isn’t what I would consider a super healthy coleslaw, it isn’t too unhealthy. With the little bit of mayo, some may consider it not so healthy. You could easily make this a no mayo coleslaw and swap in some cashew or almond yogurt for the mayo.
Once the coleslaw is mixed with the dressing you’ll want to let it sit in the refrigerator for a bit to fully get into the cabbage. The acid from the vinegar will break down the cabbage just a little bit and it will become a little softer. The cabbage will also release water. When you mix it later it will appear more that there’s more liquid, so don’t be alarmed, that’s good!
We hope you enjoy this vegan coleslaw recipe as much as we do. Enjoy it as a side, or piled on this delicious black bean burger!
- When making this recipe I like to use a large bowl so it’s easy to mix. You can transfer to a smaller bowl to store in the refrigerator.
- Don’t want to use vinegar in the coleslaw? Swap out for lemon juice. It’s still acidic like vinegar and lends a brighter flavor to the dish.
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayo
- 1 teaspoon vinegar apple cider or white
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon cane sugar
- pinch of salt
- Place the cabbages into a large bowl.
- Mix together the vegan mayo, vinegar, mustard, celery seed, sugar, and salt.
- Pour the coleslaw dressing over the shredded cabbage and mix to combine.
- Cover and allow to sit in the refrigerator for 2 hours before serving.
- Garnish with some parsley leaves and serve as desired.