This Mashed Purple Sweet Potatoes recipe is the perfect side dish or it also makes for great homemade baby food!
We love colorful recipes and this purple mashed sweet potato recipe is no exception! We also love our purple sweet potatoes and regular purple potatoes and make Roasted Purple Sweet Potatoes and Purple Mashed Potatoes recipe often.
Whenever you see purple sweet potatoes in the store you should definitely grab some and give them a try while they’re in season.
Ingredients and notes:
- Purple Sweet Potatoes – If you can’t find purple sweet potatoes this recipe will work with any sweet potato.
- Milk – We use oat milk so that means this recipe is vegan and dairy free. You could also use regular milk.
- Butter – We use vegan butter, but you can use regular as well.
- Salt – Our butter contains salt, but we also add more to taste.
- Parsley – This is to garnish the potatoes once they’re done and the color really pops!
For the full ingredient amount and full instructions on how to make mashed purple sweet potatoes see the recipe card below.
Wash, peel, and chop the purple sweet potatoes.
Boil the potatoes until fork-tender.
Drain the potatoes and then mash with warm oat milk and vegan butter.
Salt to taste and garnish with parsley and a pat of butter.
Recipe Tips and Alterations:
- Add more of milk as needed.
- Add more flavor like roasted garlic or even brown sugar or maple syrup if you like sweet mashed potatoes.
- Like your potatoes with tang? Add a little bit of vinegar and it even turns the potatoes a bit pink!
Storage and reheating tips:
- Refrigerate: Store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Freeze: Store any leftover mashed purple sweet potatoes in a freezer safe container freeze up to 4 months.
- Reheat: To reheat you can use a sauce pan and stir on medium high heat with a little more oat milk until desired temperature or use your microwave with a microwave safe bowl for 2-4 minutes, mixing as needed.
How to serve:
This is best served as a side dish but can be served with all of your favorite meals or even on top of Shepherd’s pie!
Most stores carry purple sweet potatoes now in the produce section. If you cannot find them ask your produce manager of the local store if they can order them.
The best time to find them is September through April.
Yes! You can use this with regular sweet potatoes as well.
Mashed Purple Sweet Potatoes
- 5-6 purple sweet potatoes
- 3/4 cup oat milk
- 1/3 cup vegan butter
- salt to taste
- Wash, peel, and chop the purple sweet potatoes.
- Place the purple sweet potatoes into a large pot and cover with water.
- Allow the potatoes to cook and boil in the water for about 15-20 minutes until they are fork-tender.
- Drain the potatoes and then return to the pot.
- Add in warm oat milk and vegan butter.
- Mash and mix the potatoes until combined.
- Add salt to taste.
- Garnish with parsley and a pat of butter.
The nutritional information is automatically calculated and can vary based ingredients and products used. If the nutrition numbers are important for you we recommend calculating them yourself.
Did you try this recipe? Be sure to leave a recipe rating! Also, tag us @knowyourproduce on Instagram and hashtag it #knowyourproduce so we can share it!