This Baked Purple Sweet Potato is a show-stopper side dish that is packed with antioxidants! The vibrant color makes you eat with your eyes before even taking your first delicious bite. You can easily make air fryer purple sweet potatoes or baked right in the oven.
Baked Purple Sweet Potatoes are not just pretty, but delicious and rich in anthocyanin and carotenoids, these are natural antioxidants from that beautiful purple flesh. We love when they’re in season and enjoy it as much as we can. They are perfect for an anti-inflammatory diet.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Purple Sweet Potatoes
- Preferred salt or you can also go without salt if you’re on a low salt diet.
- Optional toppings like butter, sour cream, fresh herbs, maple syrup, berries, the options are endless!
We typically enjoy our baked purple sweet potatoes just like we enjoy our air fryer sweet potatoes, with just a pinch of salt and a sprinkle of fresh parsley. They’re so flavorful and we find that we don’t need extra toppings.
How to bake Purple Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F
- Wash your purple sweet potatoes using a vegetable brush to remove any dirt.
- Carefully poke holes into your sweet potato using a fork.
- Place the potatoes onto a baking sheet and bake for 30-45 minutes for small to medium sized purple sweet potatoes, or an hour for larger potatoes. You’ll know they’re fully cooked once you can easily pierce with a fork.
- Once fully cooked, remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and enjoy as desired.
How to cook Purple Sweet Potatoes in the Air Fryer
Place the sweet potatoes into the air fryer and cook at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes flip the sweet potatoes and cook for another 15 minutes. Remove the sweet potatoes from the air fryer once they are fully cooked. If using larger sweet potatoes add about 10-15 minutes of cook time if needed.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
We suggest cutting them down a bit so they can cook more quickly. We usually cut them in half and cook with the flat side down.
Yes! Follow the instructions for the air fryer method in the recipe card.
Absolutely, baked sweet potatoes are our favorite for meal prepping lunches and dinners. We store our cooked sweet potatoes in the fridge for 3-5 days in a shallow airtight container.
We have luck finding them at our local Whole Foods and Mom’s Market. Other options would be to ask your local store’s produce manager if they can bring them in on the next order. You can also purchase them online.
Looking for more ways on how to cook purple sweet potatoes?
Baked Purple Sweet Potato
- 3 Purple Sweet Potatoes small to medium sized
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash the purple sweet potatoes with a vegetable scrubber to remove any dirt and carefully poke holes into the sweet potatoes using a fork.
- Place the potatoes onto a baking sheet and bake for 30-35 minutes for small or 35-40 minutes for medium sized purple sweet potatoes, or 45-50 minutes for a large sweet potato.
- To make air fryer purple sweet potatoes set your air fryer to 350 degrees F and cook for 20 minutes and then flip and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Fully cooked potatoes should pierce easily with a fork. Slice open the sweet potatoes once fully cooked and top as desired.