Banana bread french toast makes for a delicious twist on two classic recipes. Top with fresh sliced banana or berries and a drizzle of maple syrup.
If you have very ripe bananas, your first thought is to make banana bread, but this banana bread french toast is NEXT LEVEL. We love using challah bread or brioche bread for French toast, but there’s something incredible about banana bread French toast.
Homemade banana bread is sweet and delicious on its own, but when you turn it into French toast, it transforms into much more. You won’t be able to stop after one bite. That’s why one serving is two slices!
Banana bread french toast ingredients:
- Banana Bread – You can use your own banana bread recipe or give our banana bread recipe a try. It’s so good and you can add nuts or chocolate chips if desired.
- Eggs – We recommend using freshly cracked eggs, not cartons.
- Milk – Use a plant-based milk like Silk Next Milk or Oatly for dairy free.
- Vanilla – We always use quality vanilla extract.
- Cinnamon – You can also use other spices, but cinnamon is the perfect spice for french toast.
How to make banana bread french toast
Heat a frying pan with a bit of butter or oil.
In a shallow bowl, combine the eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon, and then whisk until it’s combined.
Dip the bread into the egg mixture and then cook the banana bread in the skillet on both sides for 2-3 minutes.
Serve with sliced bananas or your favorite berries and fruit. We also like to drizzle a bit of maple syrup.
Recipe Tips and Alterations:
- Use one teaspoon of sugar for every peach!
- If your peaches aren’t sweet, you may need to increase the sugar to add sweetness.
- You can make the puree ahead of time and enjoy it within four days.
- Quickly chill the puree by adding it to a container and then placing it over a bowl of ice. Mix until the puree is cold.
Storage and reheating tips:
- Refrigerate: Store any leftover banana bread french toast in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Freeze – Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze in an air-tight container. You can enjoy it within 1-2 months for the best flavor and texture.
How to serve:
We like to add a small pat of salted butter as soon as we plate and then add some fresh fruit and a drizzle of maple syrup.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, this would be delicious with our apple bread as well!
We recommend using day old banana bread for this recipe so it’s easier to handle.
Yes! We prefer maple syrup over honey Abfor this recipe.
Banana Bread French Toast
(click stars to vote)Print Pin Save
- 8 slices banana bread sliced 1/2-1 inch thick
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk use plant based milk for dairy free
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- butter or oil for frying
- maple syrup for topping
- In a skillet heat up a bit of oil or butter.
- In a shallow dish, combine the eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon and whisk until combined.
- Dip the banana bread into the egg mixture and coat both sides. Then place onto the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes per side.
- Place the cooked banana bread french toast onto a plate and serve as desired.
The nutritional information is automatically calculated and can vary based ingredients and products used. If the nutrition numbers are important for you we recommend calculating them yourself.