Our Apple Bread is made with fresh granny smith apples, warm fall spices, and brown sugar for sweetness. Enjoy a slice with your morning breakfast or with ice cream for dessert.
This homemade apple bread is a must make and it’s perfect for fall! We love making it after apple picking, especially with Granny Smith apples! We love granny smith apples for baking as they really hold up well during the baking process.
Recipe ingredients and notes:
- Granny Smith apples: These apples make this recipe! They are tart and hold up well during baking.
- All-purpose flour: This is our go-to baking flour. Feel free to substitute whole wheat if that’s what you have on hand or aren’t using white flour.
- Apple pie spice: This seasoning is great for adding warmth to a recipe and a bit of spice.
- Brown Sugar: We’re using brown sugar because it sweetens the bread, but also gives it more of an earthy-woody flavor and warmth that compliments the apple really well.
- Applesauce: Fresh or storebought applesauce works well and keeps the apple bread moist while also adding more apple flavor. We use unsweetened applesauce.
- Oat milk: We use whole oat milk, but feel free to use what you have on hand.
- Butter: The butter helps bind the streusel and makes it turn golden brown in the oven. We use country crock plant butter or earth balance.
For the full ingredient amount and full instructions on how to make apple bread see the recipe card below.
Preheat your oven to 350F and grease a 9×5 loaf pan with nonstick baking spray or butter. We use vegan butter without an issue.
Grate an apple using the largest setting on your box grater and get all of the juice out of it. Discard the juice.
In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients which are the flour, apple pie spice, and baking powder.
In another bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients which are brown sugar, apple sauce, milk, egg, and vanilla. Whisk until combined.
Now combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients by gently folding them together, you don’t want to overmix the batter.
Once the wet ingredients have been fully incorporated, add the shredded apple and fold it in gently.
Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan and top with streusel topping.
Bake in a preheated oven for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Allow the bread to cool in the pan for five minutes. Then, carefully run a knife around the edge and turn it out onto a wire rack to cool before slicing.
We get about 8-10 slices depending on how thick or thin you make them.
Recipe Tips and Alterations:
- Want more apples? feel free to add ½ cup of chopped apple to the batter. Adding too much can create too much moisture.
- Don’t have apple pie spice? You’ll need 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom, a pinch of ginger, and a pinch of allspice. If you don’t have all of those spices you can also use 1 1/2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg.
- If you want to add some crunch, add ½ cup of chopped nuts– pecans, walnuts, or almonds would all be delicious.
- Add more texture to your streusel by using rolled oats, about 1/8 cup works well.
Storage and reheating tips:
- Refrigerate: Store any leftover apple bread in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Freeze: To freeze apple bread you’ll want to allow the bread to cool completely. Slice or keep whole and then wrap in plastic wrap. Place the wrapped apple bread into a freezer-safe bag or container and enjoy it within 6 months.
How to serve:
We love to enjoy apple bread warm so we’ll warm it up a bit in the microwave. It’s delicious with some vegan butter and maple syrup.
Frequently asked questions
You can add nuts, seeds, and even dried fruit! Another option is adding more veggies in place of some of the apple-like carrots or even zucchini.
Yes, this bread freezes well. You just need to make sure you wrap it in a plastic wrap if freezing for longer than a week or so. To freeze apple bread you’ll want to allow the bread to cool completely. Slice or keep whole and then wrap in plastic wrap. Place the wrapped apple bread into a freezer-safe bag or container and enjoy it within 6 months.
Yes, you can use 1/4 cup of applesauce in place of the egg. Our preferred vegan butter brands for baking are country crock plant butter and earth balance.
click the stars to rate this recipe
- 1 large granny smith apple
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ cup light brown sugar lightly packed
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup oat milk we use full fat oatly or our homemade oat milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Streusel Topping – optional
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter melted
- Preheat your oven to 350F and grease a 9×5 loaf pan with nonstick baking spray.
- Grate your apple using the largest setting on your box grater. You should end up with about 1 1/4 cups of shredded apple.
- Line a fine-mesh sieve with paper towels or cheesecloth and set it over a bowl. Place the shredded apples into the sieve and sprinkle them with a small pinch of salt (1/16th of a teaspoon). Allow them to sit for 15 minutes.
- Squeeze the apples in the paper towels or cheesecloth until all of the liquid has been removed.
- Discard the apple liquid and you should have around 1/3 cup of liquid.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, apple pie spice, and baking powder.
- In another bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, apple sauce, milk, egg, and vanilla.
- Whisk until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold them together gently, you don’t want to overmix the batter.
- Once the wet ingredients have been fully incorporated, add the shredded apple and fold it in gently.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan.
- Streusel Topping: Set the pan aside while you make the streusel. If not making a streusel topping you can move onto baking your apple bread.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Add the melted butter and mix until the mixture resembles coarse sand.
- Spread the streusel evenly over the top of the apple bread.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool in the pan for five minutes. Then, carefully run a knife around the edge and turn it out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Allow the apple bread to cool fully before slicing.
- Store any leftover apple bread in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days.
The nutritional information is automatically calculated and can vary based ingredients and products used. If the nutrition numbers are important for you we recommend calculating them yourself.
Did you try this recipe? ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Don’t forget to leave a recipe rating! Also, tag us @knowyourproduce on Instagram and hashtag it #knowyourproduce so we can share it!
Leave a Reply