Air Fryer Baked Potatoes with a crispy crust, nice and fluffy on the inside, and seasoned to perfection! This is the best baked potato you’ll ever make or eat!
Air Frying has become all the hype and for good reason, they cook up the food quickly, don’t heat the house, and you enjoy most of your favorite dishes without deep frying it. This baked potato is one of our favorite air fryer recipes.
Why is this the best air fryer baked potato recipe? It’s perfectly seasoned and ready for all your baked potato toppings. You could even enjoy this potato without toppings because the skin is so flavorful.
We add a little pepper. You could do salt and pepper if you don’t want to add sea salt or kosher salt to the outside. This air fryer baked potato is perfectly seasoned and ready to enjoy after cooking.
CAN YOU BAKE A POTATO IN AN AIR FRYER?
Absolutely, and it’s our favorite way to make baked potatoes. Don’t worry, they won’t explode! They get crispy on the outside and stay nice and fluffy inside. Gone are the days of heating the entire house to make a baked potatoes in the oven.
We only recommend the oven if you’re making tons of potatoes and don’t have enough room in the air fryer. We also don’t recommend wrapping them in tinfoil. Who wants a soggy steamed potato?
If you ever use tinfoil to bake the potatoes, make sure you remove the foil after baking. Keeping the tin foil on while cooling or storing for later, you’re at risk for botulism. (1)
WHAT TYPE OF POTATO IS BEST FOR BAKING?
Starchy potatoes are the best for baking. This is where the Russet Potatoes shine, you get that crispy skin and the perfect fluffy potato inside due to the lower moisture and higher starch.
We do not recommend using waxy potatoes; these are best for roasting and boiling.
Russets are considered high risk when it comes to GMOs; choose organic whenever possible. (4)
Ingredients for air fryer baked potatoes
- Potatoes: We’re going with Russet because they’re the best for baking
- Avocado Oil: This helps crisp up the skin and it’s a high smoke point oil, if you’re oil free you can use water from washing the potatoes to make the seasoning stick.
- Parsley: This gives a little flavor and color to the potato skins.
- Kosher Salt: Kosher salt is best for baking spuds. A little goes a long way.
- Granulated Garlic: Go for granulated over powdered garlic.
How to make air fryer baked potatoes
Prepping: Pierce the potatoes with a fork and then drizzle them with the oil and sprinkle with the seasonings. Massage the seasoning onto each potato.
Air Fry: Place the potatoes onto the air fryer basket and air fryer the potatoes at 350 degrees F in an oven style and 400 degrees F in a bucket style.
Cooking Time: Cook them for 20 minutes on the lower rack of your air fryer toaster oven, flip the potatoes and cook another 10-15 minutes at 375 degrees F.
Cool: Allow the potatoes to cool for about 5 minutes before cutting them open.Enjoy: Slice the potatoes open and then push the bottoms in with your fingers to “fluff the potato.” Serve as desired.
How long does an air fryer baked potato need to cook?
The cooking time will vary depending on the size of the potato. A small one could take 30 minutes, whereas an average size potato will take about 40 minutes.
They cook up beautifully and will be some of the best baked potatoes you’ve ever had.
We love serving with a little salt and pepper, vegan butter, or vegan sour cream with green onions.
tips and notes:
- Don’t overcrowd the basket – you want to allow the air to circulate around the food to “fry it” with the hot air.
- Adjust the temperature; if your potatoes are smaller, you can decrease the amount of time. If they’re larger then ours, you may need to reduce the heat so the outside doesn’t overcook before the inside and cook longer.
- We use a toaster oven style air fryer and find that flipping the potatoes in between cooking allows them to crisp much more evenly. If your air fryer cooks evenly without flipping, there’s no need to flip to get a perfectly cooked air fried baked potato.
- Adjust the temperature settings for oven vs bucket style. The oven style should be 350 degrees F and bucket should be 400 degrees F. If you cook in the oven at a higher temperature the skin on the potatoes can burn.
Are air fryers bad for you?
No, they’re an excellent addition to the countertop for healthy meals. It’s all up to what you make in it. If you’re buying a can of biscuit dough to make air fryer donuts, that isn’t the healthiest recipe, but you can make many healthy recipes.
When looking for an air fryer we suggest going for one without Teflon, which we stay away from.
There are many studies on Teflon questioning the safety of it, but we chose not to use it. (2) if you have birds, the Teflon can kill them, so that is something to consider if you’re a bird owner. (3)
Our top recommended air fryer
We use the Cuisinart Digital Air Fryer Toaster Oven.
Why? Because it can also toast, bake, broil, and offers much more versatility and cooking options than a regular bucket-style air fryer.
Air Fryer Baked Potatoes
(click stars to vote)Print Pin
- Air Fryer Toaster Oven
- 4 russet potatoes medium
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- black pepper to taste
- Scrub the russet potatoes clean.
- Cover the potatoes with the oil and seasonings.
- Massage the seasonings into the potato – you can also pierce them with a fork.
- Place the potatoes onto the air fryer basket and air fryer the potatoes at 350 degrees F in an oven style and 400 degrees F in a bucket style.
- Cook the potatoes for 20 minutes and then flip the potatoes and cook another 10-15 minutes at 375 degrees F.
- Allow the potatoes to cool about 5 minutes before cutting open.
- Slice the potatoes open and then push the bottoms of the potatoes in with your fingers to "fluff the potato".
- Serve as desired with your favorite toppings.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket – you want to allow the air to circulate around the food to “fry it” with the hot air.
- Adjust the time and temperature if your potatoes are smaller cook less if they’re larger cook longer and possibly reduce the temperature if much larger.
- Bucket style air fryers may not need to flip the potatoes, with oven style flipping helps it evenly crisp the food.
- Cook at 350 degrees F for toaster oven style and 400 degrees F for bucket style.
The nutritional information is automatically calculated and can vary based ingredients and products used. If the nutrition numbers are important for you we recommend calculating them yourself.