This the best guacamole recipe ever! Simple guacamole ingredients include creamy ripe avocados, red onions, cilantro, garlic, lime, and a little salt. The perfect appetizer for entertaining, plus it’s vegan!
This guacamole recipe is so good you may not even need the chips to eat it. Put it on fresh toast, scoop it up with tortilla chips or even serve as a dip for your veggie platter.
It’s simple, fresh and insanely delicious. The creaminess from the perfectly ripened avocado will fulfill any craving. We even like to take this recipe and mix it with a bit of our pico de gallo too. This is great guacamole for entertaining or just for enjoying on your own. Make a batch with your meal prep so you can have a dollop whenever you like. Swap it out for mayo, it’s flavorful and creamy.
Avocados are part of the clean 15. When making guacamole or buying avocados in general, we recommend Haas avocados from Mexico. They’re rich and buttery, the perfect creamy avocado, whereas others can sometimes be a bit watery.
Avocados are the main ingredient for guacamole. We use fresh and perfectly ripe avocados. The skin should be nice and dark and the avocado should be soft, not hard. If the avocado has dents it may be a little too ripened. We like chunky guacamole so instead of using a fork we use a potato masher.
In addition to the avocado, you’ll also need red onions (or sweet onion), cilantro, garlic, lime, and a little salt.
how to make guacamole
Wash and cut the avocados open and then remove the seed.
Scoop the avocado out of the skin and place into a medium bowl.
Mash the avocado with a potato mashed until you reach the desired chunkiness.
Add in the chopped onions, cilantro, garlic, lime, and salt.
Mix together and enjoy!
Avocado oxidizes once you open them, that is why it turns brown. The acid from the lime juice is all you need, but some also swear by leaving the pit in the bowl. You don’t have to use any fancy containers or plastic wrap, just a good airtight container. We love the locking lids with glass containers. For kids, most want a smooth and creamy guacamole recipe without onions or garlic you can easily flavor it with just some lime juice and salt for kids. Taste and add salt as needed. Short on lime? You can use lemon juice as well.
This is naturally gluten-free and vegan. Making it a great option for everyone!
tips for making the best guacamole recipe
- use Haas avocados from Mexico – they’re creamy and make the best guacamole.
- use a ripe avocado – underripe won’t be as good and won’t mash well either.
- if you don’t like cilantro just leave it out – it’s delicious with or without it.
- salt to taste and keep in mind if you’re using salty tortilla chips it can be even saltier.
- store in an airtight container in the fridge up to 2 days, the lime (citrus) should prevent it from becoming brown.
The Best Guacamole Recipe
- 4 Haas avocados
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion chopped
- 1/8 cup cilantro chopped
- 2 limes juiced
- kosher salt to taste
- Slice open the avocados and remove the pit, scoop out the green flesh and place into a bowl.
- Smash the avocado with a potato masher.
- Chop the garlic, onions, and cilantro - add into the bowl.
- Juice the limes and add to the mixture as well.
- Give it another smash/mix and add in the salt to taste.