Learn all about apples!
How many types of apples are there? There’s too many varieties of apples to count, or even list! Our favorite apples are Fuji, Gala, Pink Lady, Granny Smith, and Honeycrisp. Other popular Apples are Red Delicious, McIntosh, and Golden Delicious! Apples TOP the list of produce contaminated with pesticides. Before we switched to only organic apples we enjoyed Jazz apples, they DO have organic available in select areas! There are so many things you can do with apples from baking, pureeing, frying, juicing, or even making into apple chips! (try this apple chips recipe ! ) Apples are a great first food for babies too, as making baby food from apples is so quick & easy! If you can always leave the peel on your apples. When you peel your apples you lose out on all that fiber and antioxidants that you just “removed”.
FACT: Apples are a great source of fiber -1 medium apple has 4.4 grams of dietary fiber. PLUS, they also have 195mg of Potassium!
Homemade Applesauce // love & olive oil
WHEN IS APPLE SEASON » Apple season is year round for the grocery store thanks to the many varieties all over the world. For picking, Apple’s peak season is September through November.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO GROWN AN APPLE TREE? If you were to plant today you would see your first apples in 4-5 years! One thing I would love to do when we finally buy our forever home is plant an apple tree in our backyard. (A peach tree too!)
HOW TO STORE APPLES Apples can be store on the counter, or in the refrigerator. We prefer to enjoy our apples cold and keep them refrigerated. Apples ripen six to ten times faster at ROOM temperature.
HOW TO CHOOSE APPLES I carefully look at each apple making sure there’s no breaks in the skin (which can harbor bacteria) and no bruising. In short, you want an apple that’s blemish free.
Soft & Chewy Spiced Apple Rings // Oh My Veggies
CAN YOU FREEZE APPLES We recommend washing, slicing, and individually freeze your apples on a cookie sheet or tray. Spray with a little lemon to prevent browning too! Add the frozen apples to a zip bag and freeze. You can also freeze them whole with the skin on. Just wash, dry, and remove the cores. The best uses for them would be cooked, like applesauce, cobbles, or pies.
BEST WAY TO ENJOY APPLES Simply wash and enjoy or check try one of these delicious apple recipes below
- Raw Apple Cider – No cooking, no ruining all those nutrients
- Maple Apple Pork Breakfast Sausage Patties // Courtney’s Sweets
- Sneaky Green Apple Fruit Leather – This fruit leather is PACKED with apples & spinach
- Jewish Apple Cake – Apples + Cinnamon + Cake Batter = perfection
- Baked Apple Pie French Toast – Need to use up all those apples you picked? Couldn’t think of a better way!
- Healthy Candy Apple Wedges – Chocolate isn’t just for strawberries
- Apple Pie Ice Cream – No explanation needed, just NEED!
- Roast Potatoes, Apples, & Sausage with a Maple Glaze – Add apples to your dinner plate
- Low Sugar, Gluten Free, Apple Crisp – Made with low-calorie natural sweeteners and it’s gluten-free!