This Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese is loaded with sweet butternut squash, roasted onions, and just a little cheese to make it a delicious mac and cheese recipe that everyone will enjoy. Takes less than 30 minutes to make!
Did you grow up on boxed mac and cheese? Don’t worry, most of us have. There’s nothing wrong with boxed mac and cheese, especially now that you can find organic and gluten free mac and cheese boxes in nearly every store now. That being said, nothing beats a good homemade macaroni and cheese. The cheesy texture and cheesy taste. Not to mention the bread crumb topping.
Before meeting my wife most of the food I ate was processed. I thank her for bringing grapefruit into my life. Just a few years ago I finally broke down and tried butternut squash and now I’m hooked. It’s velvety smooth and that sweet flavor is irresistible. Once you bake the squash it reaches a whole new level of awesomeness! By giving it a whirl in the blender you get this creamy texture that is perfect for mac and cheese. This recipe can be made in any blender, but we find that we get the best results with our Vitamix or Blendtec high speed blenders.
Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese
Add-ins we suggest:
- chopped broccoli
- cherry tomatoes
- 1 pound butternut squash chopped
- 1/4 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 8- ounce macaroni pasta dry
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/8 cup panko or regular breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Toss the butternut squash and onions with olive oil and place on a lined cookie sheet.
- Bake veggies for 15-20 minutes just until slightly browned.
- While veggies are roasting, cook pasta according to the package directions and drain.
- Once the veggies are tender, remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Puree the veggies once a bit cooled in a high-speed blender.
- Mix together the macaroni, butternut squash puree, most of the cheddar cheese, and most of the Parmesan cheese.
- Once fully mixed, place into an oven-safe dish and top with remaining cheeses and Panko bread crumbs.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until bubbly and slightly browned.
- Serve with sliced cherry tomatoes and spinach on the side.
Go ahead and enjoy. Make a triple batch if you’re entertaining for the holidays, or if you’re extra hungry. Optional add-ins are great too! Easily make it gluten free by using gluten free pasta and nixing the panko.
If you liked this recipe, try our