Portobello Mushroom, Kale, & Spinach Puree for Macaroni and Cheese AND more
I should have known better. Picky husband = picky kiddo. I love to eat fresh vegetables as often as possible and I really enjoy trying new things too.. however my husband not so much. I always thought my daughter would just naturally love to eat like her mommy, but as time goes on I see she has her daddy’s taste buds! I’m constantly coming up with new ways to get them to eat better and this one really tops it all.
Macaroni and cheese is something we absolutely love like our Roasted Red Pepper Macaroni and Cheese –> DELISH! I make mac and cheese about 1-2 times a month. Dinner for me is a challenge on how to get my family to eat things that are good for them but taste absolutely incredible. (try our quinoa fried rice!)
A few days ago I bought some beautiful portobello mushroom caps along with some greens. I knew my husband and daughter would refuse to eat it if I just cooked it and served. SO instead I figured the best way to use it up was to put it over some macaroni and cheese. This was the first time I saw my daughter eat ALL her greens, and hubby too! I was completely shocked. Baby girl kept going back for more and my husband who said he wasn’t going to touch it had two servings.!
Last night I felt like I accomplished something huge. I served my family a TON of greens and they enjoyed EVERY bite! Portobello Mushroom, Kale, & Spinach Puree for Macaroni and Cheese AND more – I love it over rice too or even a protein!
- 3 Large Portobello Mushroom Caps
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Olive Oil
- 4 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 2 Cups Raw Spinach
- 2 Cups Raw Kale
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Parsley
- Clean and dice mushrooms into chunks.
- In a large skillet heat up oil and butter and toss in the garlic and mushrooms.
- Cook mushrooms for about 5 on medium heat, then add in the greens and reduce to low, cover and to allow them to cook down.
- Stir and add in salt and parsley, make sure all your greens are cooked then add into a blender and puree the mixture.
- Serve over your favorite macaroni and cheese, rice, or protein!
Did you enjoy this post? Click here to pin it for later. Also check out all of our other favorite Spinach, Kale and Mushroom recipes and posts on Pinterest!