This pantry staple Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix is the perfect recipe for tacos or adding Mexican seasoning to any recipe.
Taco seasoning can be loaded with sodium and even MSG and preservatives. We do not purchase seasoning mixes aside from everything, but the bagel seasoning from Trader Joe’s, that stuff is so good! When you make your seasoning mixes, you can control the amount of sodium and the amount of heat/spice in a recipe. Also, many seasonings mixes may contain gluten, as long as you use gluten-free ingredients, your seasoning mixes can be completely gluten-free.
TACO SEASONING MIX RECIPE
- Chili Powder
- Garlic, granulated
- Onion, granulated
- Kosher Salt – Do not use table salt; if you use table salt, it will be too much since it’s smaller than Kosher salt.
- Cayenne Powder – optional, this will add more heat to the seasoning mix.
HOW TO MAKE TACO SEASONING MIX
In a large bowl, combine all of the taco seasoning ingredients.
Once the seasonings are thoroughly combined, pour into your desired container.
We like to upcycle using an empty spice bottle or mason jar.
RECIPES USING TACO SEASONING MIX:
You can easily double, triple, or make as much as you want. It’s great to have in the house ready to go, but it’s also great for gift giving. I love buying a lot of bulk spices and I’ll make about 4-5 batches and give 2-3 away to family and friends. You could even give it away in small little mason jars. Everyone loves this seasoning mix.
- Make sure you use spices and seasonings that do not contain gluten or have cross-contamination to keep this gluten-free.
- To add more heat, you can use cayenne powder.
- If you need to substitute table salt for kosher salt, we usually use 1/4 of the amount and then add more if needed.
- This DIY taco seasoning mix is excellent for your use, but it’s also is great for gift giving!
Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix
(click stars to vote)Print Pin
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons garlic granules
- 1 tablespoon onion granules
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pepper
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- In a large bowl combine all of the taco seasoning ingredients and stir to combine.
- Once the seasonings are completely combined, pour into your desired container.
- To add more heat you can use cayenne powder.
- If you need to substitute table salt for kosher salt we usually use 1/4 of the amount and then add more if needed.
The nutritional information is automatically calculated and can vary based ingredients and products used. If the nutrition numbers are important for you we recommend calculating them yourself.