Sweet Grilled Pineapple over a slice of homemade pound cake, topped with vanilla ice cream, maple syrup and lemon zest. Tastes like summer!
I just love being in the kitchen now that our daughter can finally eat a LOT more foods. Food allergies are a total pain and I blame all the processed ingredients in our every day lives. Now that summer is here we are enjoying using the grill. Have you ever grilled your fruits?
I mean sure, you’ve grilled vegetables – but what about fruit?! If you haven’t you’re truly missing out.
I’ll even let you know on a little secret, you don’t need an outdoor grill to do this recipe! We live in a condo where outdoor grills are prohibited. So I went to our local Target and picked up a cast iron grill for the stove. Chris goes crazy for grilled pineapple and bought some so we could grill it up.
Meanwhile I’ve been testing recipes for our daughter’s birthday cake and I think we’ve created a winner! I am going to make her a sour cream pound cake filled with beautiful berries and whip cream. We’re having a Mickey/Minnie Mouse Party – it’s going to be awesome. We’ll also be grilling outdoors that day which will be nice.
Since I have so much pound cake from the recipe testing I thought it would pair extremely well with the grilled pineapple, yes.. so good! A little bit of vanilla ice cream, a drizzle of maple syrup, and some zest from a lime (or a lemon if you’d like) just hits the spot. Summer just got a little sweeter with this grilled recipe.
- ¾ Cup Sugar (we used organic which resulted in a darker cake)
- 1 Stick Softened Butter
- ⅓ Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 3 Eggs
- 1½ Cups All Purpose Flour
- ⅛ Teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- Ice Cream
- Lime Zest
- Maple Syrup
- Preheat your oven to 350
- In a mixer combine all the wet ingredients. Mix until creamed together.
- Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda. Combine with the wet ingredients.
- Pour into a loaf pain that is greased and floured.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Take cake out of loaf pan and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- Preheat your grill or grill pan for the pineapple.
- Core or slice your pineapple however you'd like for serving.
- Drain on a paper towel so you can ensure they dry for better grill marks.
- Place directly on the grill and cook each side for about 3-5 minutes.
- Place pineapple on top of slices of pound cake and top with vanilla, lime zest, and a little drizzle of maple syrup.