This easy Zucchini and Tomatoes summer side dish is our favorite way to enjoy freshly picked tomatoes and zucchini. Perfect over garlic butter pasta or on its own.
The garden is bursting with zucchini and tomatoes, what’s one to do? Enjoy the abundance and make delicious recipes of course. This zucchini and tomatoes recipe is a hit in our house and it’s perfect for pasta with a bit of garlic and olive oil.
Recipe ingredients and notes:
- Avocado Oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Pepper, optional
- Fresh Herbs, optional
For the full ingredient amount and full instructions on how to make zucchini and tomatoes see the recipe card below.
Start by chopping the zucchini and tomatoes. Set aside. Then you’ll mince the garlic.
Heat up a skillet with some oil and then lightly cook the garlic, but do not brown the garlic or it will become bitter.
Add the zucchini and cook for a few minutes before adding in the tomatoes. Cook until you reach the desired doneness for your vegetables.
Recipe Tips and Alterations:
- Love the flavor of oil? Use extra virgin olive oil. If you don’t love it you could use avocado oil which is a neutral oil.
- Add more garlic if desired, you could even do a whole bulb of garlic.
- Add a bit more oil when cooking and then add a bit of pasta water and toss with fresh pasta for a delicious warm pasta salad.
Storage and reheating tips:
- Refrigerate: Store any leftover zucchini and tomatoes in an airtight container and enjoy within 3-5 days.
How to serve:
This is an excellent summer side dish that is perfectly paired with crispy bread, pasta, and your favorite main course.
Frequently asked questions
Our top picks would be eggplant, onions, yellow squash, mushrooms, or even bell peppers.
I love adding crushed red pepper flakes to my portion to give it a little kick.
Zucchini and Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb zucchini chopped, about 1 big zucchini or 2 medium-sized zucchini
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large stainless steel pan. Add the onions and stir frequently to avoid it from burning. Cook for about a minute.
- Add the zucchini and cook for 3 minutes, then add in the tomatoes and cook for another 3-5 minutes until you reach the desired tenderness of the veggies.
- Serve as is or toss with garlic butter pasta.
The nutritional information is automatically calculated and can vary based ingredients and products used. If the nutrition numbers are important for you we recommend calculating them yourself.
Did you try this recipe? ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Don’t forget to leave a recipe rating! Also, tag us @knowyourproduce on Instagram and hashtag it #knowyourproduce so we can share it!