Learn how to make Elderberry Syrup at home! Our elderberry syrup recipe is made with dried elderberries and raw honey or maple syrup for vegan elderberry syrup to help boost your immune system against the common cold and flu. (1)
There are many recipes out there and many products as well, from elderberry gummies, elderberry cough drops, and of course elderberry syrup.
HOW LONG DOES ELDERBERRY SYRUP LAST AND HOW DO YOU STORE IT?
- You can find the dried eldeberries we use, here.
- Use dried elderberries from a trusted and reliable source.
- Remove any unripe berries, twigs, leaves.
- Do not cover the syrup while cooking, you need the liquid to reduce and thicken.
- Do not add the honey until the mixture is slightly cooled as the high heat will kill any of the beneficial properties.
- You can use maple syrup or other preferred sweeteners as well.
- Easily flavor to your liking by adding citrus rind (we recommend using organic) or even fresh ginger.
- Honey is not safe for children under 12 months of age. (4)
It’s important to remove all twigs, unripe berries before cooking. You also need to cook them long enough and properly so that the toxin in the seeds is fully cooked out. The seeds, stems, and bark contain cyanide-inducing glycoside, eating too many or not properly prepared (5) can make you quite ill as it would build up a toxic amount of cyanide in the body. This is why we discard the elderberries after making the syrup. (6) Please see our nutrition disclaimer.
- Pour the water into a saucepan and then add in the elderberries, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and orange.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 45-60 minutes, cooked uncovered.
- Once the mixture is reduced by half remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Strain the liquid and discard the berries, cinnamon stick, and cloves.
- When the elderberry syrup is cool to the touch add in the honey and stir until combined.
- Store in the refrigerator and use as needed or to just boost your immunity.
The nutritional information is automatically calculated and can vary based ingredients and products used. If the nutrition numbers are important for you we recommend calculating them yourself.