Summer is just about over and kids are heading back to school already. We still enjoy going to our local farmers market on the weekend and this weekend we couldn’t pass up the gorgeous eggplant and zucchini. Our Eggplant Parmesan Recipe and Zucchini Bites Appetizer is bound to be a family favorite. This classic family meal is made into bite size fun with just a little extra prep. Make it even easier by using Mezzetta Napa Valley Homemade Pasta Sauces! I typically make my Sunday Sauce weekly, but we’ve been enjoying our farmers market tomatoes fresh before they make it to the pot. Mezzetta sauce is pretty tasty too and it tastes just like you made it in your own kitchen.
I grew up with my mother heading back to the garden and picking out large eggplants to make eggplant parmesan recipe. Her eggplant parmesan recipe was always highly requested at any dinner party or family gathering. She salted it perfectly and the eggplant had just the right amount of bite to it. Her secret was actually blended up fresh parmesan into panko breadcrumbs.
Funny thing is, she never made a homemade sauce for her eggplant parmesan, it was always jarred sauce. She would definitely approve of Mezzetta Pasta Sauces. They come in a variety of different flavors, Marinara, Tomato & Sweet Basil, Spicy Marinara, Roasted Garlic & Caramelized Onions, Parmesan Asiago & Romano and Wild Mushroom. Best of all they’re made from 100%hand-selected plum tomatoes. No added sugars or pastes. Mezzetta is a family owned company that has been operating for over 80 years with quality ingredients, real food.
- 1 large eggplant cut into chunks (peeled)
- 1 large or 2 small zucchini cut into chunks
- sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley
- coconut oil for frying
- Sprinkle your eggplant and zucchini with a little sea salt and allow to sit in a bowl for about 10-15 minutes.
- Drain excess moisture from the eggplant and zucchini.
- In a small bowl whisk your eggs.
- In another bowl combine your parmesan cheese, panko bread crumbs and seasonings.
- Place coconut oil into a frying pan, enough to fry your eggplant and zucchini.
- Dip your eggplant and zucchini into the egg mixture and then into the bread crumbs.
- Place the breaded eggplant and zucchini into the pan and cook on each size until golden brown and crispy.
- Allow to drain on a piece of paper towel or cloth before serving with your favorite sauce.