Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Rich and creamy Roasted Butternut Squash Soup is perfect with a side salad or crusty bread. We love serving this soup during the fall and winter using fresh butternut squash. It's gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan!
- 3 lb butternut squash sliced in half, with seeds removed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon thyme fresh
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper. Set aside.
Prepare the butternut squash for baking by brushing the inside with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and sprinkling with salt and pepper to taste. Turn the squash face down, skin side up, and bake for about 45 minutes or until tender and cooked through.
Meanwhile, in a large pot heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and cook the onion over medium heat until translucent and tender. Add garlic and cook 1 additional minute. Set aside.
When the squash is done, scoop out the inside flesh and compost or discard the skin. Place the squash, cooked onions, garlic, vegetable broth, salt, pepper, cinnamon, thyme, and honey into a high-speed blender. Blend on medium-high speed until pureed and smooth.
Return the soup into the large pot and place it on medium-low until heated throughout.
Serve as desired.
- You can change the thickness of this soup by adding more or less broth.
- Depending on the size of your blender you may need to do this in batches, you could also use an immersion blende inside of your pot.
- To make more of a creamy butternut squash soup we suggest adding a splash of coconut milk swirl to the top. It's rich and creamy as is, but some do like the bit of coconut milk like a bit of cream on top.
- You can replace the maple syrup with honey, agave, or brown sugar. If you use honey some may not consider this soup vegan.
- Garnish options are endless we usually go with roasted pumpkin seeds, extra thyme or parsley, croutons, fresh cracked pepper.
Calories: 271kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 1302mg | Potassium: 1236mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 36538IU | Vitamin C: 74mg | Calcium: 172mg | Iron: 2mg