Refreshing Watermelon Salad is perfect for summer entertaining! You can make this side dish salad recipe sweet or savory. It’s naturally vegan, oil-free, and gluten-free.
Watermelon Salad is perfect on a hot summer day. All of the ingredients in this salad are loaded with water and will not only cool you down but also hydrate you as well. This is one of our favorite dishes to bring to parties – it can be either savory or sweet. We like to toss over salad or even over some nice cream, making it a super versatile recipe. We also recommend trying our Fruit Salsa or Cantaloupe Fruit Salad.
What’s in Watermelon Salad?
When using ripe watermelon, strawberries, and blueberries you’ll have a sweet salad and may not even need to add any sweeteners like maple syrup or honey. The way we enjoy this salad is fresh lime juice, chopped fresh mint, and a pinch of salt.
Watermelon has a super sweet part which is what we refer to as the watermelon’s heart. It’s smack dab in the center of a watermelon and it’s as sweet as sugar and definitely softer, not as crunchy. We prefer to reserve the watermelon heart to enjoy on its own and use the crunchier pieces of watermelon that are around the heart for salads and salsas.
How do you serve Watermelon Salad?
To serve this as a savory recipe we recommend pairing with vegan crumbled feta cheese and fresh greens like arugula, spring mix, and spinach. It’s also nice to put out some balsamic vinegar in case anyone wants to add to their salad. If the berries are too sweet for you in a salad you could just make this a watermelon cucumber salad with the dressing.
Watermelon Salad with Cucumber and Mint
- 3 cups watermelon chopped
- 1 cup strawberries chopped
- 1 Persian cucumber chopped (mini seedless cucumber)
- 5-7 leaves mint chopped
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon sweetener (maple syrup or honey) optional
- Chop up the watermelon, strawberries, cucumber, and mint.
- Place the chopped fruit into a large bowl along with the blueberries.
- Juice the lime and then mix the lime with the salt.
- Pour the lime juice into the bowl of fruit and then mix to combine.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.